We live at a time when a lot of pre-existing technological developments seem too futuristic to exist. However, that is exactly the pace our world is running at! Several fleet managers constrict their GPS tracking software to only vehicle tracking. However, they can only reap the benefits their software has to offer when they fully integrate it with IoT. Wondering why? Let’s learn in this article!
What is IoT?
Have you ever had your email account synced on two devices and had data transferred between the two automatically? Have you checked your phone’s screen time on your laptop? Well, these functions take place because of the Internet of Things (IoT).
IoT is a well-connected network of devices, information, and sensors sharing information over digital networks. The whole purpose of the technology is to allow as many devices as possible to the Internet and one another so that they can seamlessly share information with one another.
It is also because of IoT that any connected and smart devices work, be they smart speakers or smartwatches. You can view information from these devices on your phone and control their functions, right? That is because they are all connected to one another through digital networks.
Through IoT, we can create a connected world where every device can communicate with one another to share information.
What Does IoT Mean for Vehicle Tracking Software?
IoT is the future of connected devices, and that translates to fleet management as well. IoT allows you to integrate all types of sensors into your fleet management software. Therefore, these sensors can share infromation between themselves and the computer seamlessly. In this section, let us learn how that improves fleet functions!
- Real-time Updates: Through constant synchronization, sensors can gather information from the vehicles and share them with one another in real-time. This information is shared with software in real-time, allowing you to be constantly aware of your fleet.
- Constant Tracking: Be it locational, geospatial, or mechanical, IoT allows you to constantly track your vehicles, their performance, and health.
- Automation: The amalgamation of ML and IoT allows vehicles to be automated. IoT offers V2V and V2X connectivity allowing vehicles to be aware of their surroundings and hence, drive themselves safely.
- Higher Safety: Sensors such as SOS alarms functions because of IoT. Whenever the vehicle senses some danger, be it through automation or manual triggers, it will immediately send that information to software to act accordingly.
- Better Insights: IoT allows you to gather information from devices and also process it in a way that allows you to have a closer look into your fleet’s performance. The better the IoT connections, the better the insights you’ll get.
- Less Paperwork: An important aspect of IoT is that all information is shared digitally and proper history is maintained. Therefore, you do not indulge in paperwork to keep that information intact.
The Future is Connected!
From this article, you must have surmised that fleet management and vehicle tracking are much more than simple GPS tracking. Since technology offers to make your fleet management systems much stronger through automation and better connectivity, why not avail it?
TrackoBit offers full sensor integration through IoT. Make use of all its features to improve your fleet functions and business’ bottom line exponentially.